Pregnancy is a critical time for optimizing health and nutrition, both for the mother and her baby. Overall nutritional and caloric needs are greatly increased by pregnancy and breastfeeding.* However, especially during the first trimester because of nausea, women are not always able to consume the desired number of calories or variety of nutrients. Several nutrients in a good prenatal multiple vitamin have been found to benefit pregnant women who suffer from "morning sickness," including vitamin C, vitamin B6, and vitamin K.* The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend folic acid supplementation for all women of childbearing age because the biggest need is during the first trimester, when a woman may not even be aware she is pregnant. A woman who consumes a healthful diet with adequate folate may reduce her risk of having a child with a birth defect of the brain or spinal cord. Folate intake should not exceed 250 percent of the government's recommended daily value (1,000 mcg). The need for other nutrients, such as iron, increases dramatically during pregnancy and is not always compensated for by diet alone.* Multiple vitamin supplementation – during the year before becoming pregnant, during pregnancy, and while breastfeeding – can help produce a healthy baby and benefit the mother through labor, delivery, breastfeeding, and postpartum.* Basic Prenatal is a comprehensive supplement formulated with the special needs of pregnancy in mind. Manufactured with none of the additives and coatings usually found in mainstream prenatal tablets, Basic Prenatal includes only the most bioavailable nutrients. High-potency multiple vitamins may sometimes be difficult for a woman to "stomach," particularly during the first trimester of pregnancy. Therefore, Thorne Research does not include large amounts of the nutrients commonly known to cause stomach upset. Instead, these nutrients are included in their most active or absorbable forms for superior utilization.* Among these are the active forms of several of the B vitamins – pyridoxal 5'-phosphate (vitamin B6), riboflavin 5'-phosphate (vitamin B2), L-5-MTHF (active form of folate), and methylcobalamin (vitamin B12). Calcium in large doses may also cause stomach upset. Therefore, a moderate dose in the highly absorbable citrate and malate forms are used. Additional calcium and magnesium can be supplemented, especially in the final trimester. Basic Prenatal may also be taken by nursing mothers.
Three Capsules Contain:
- Vitamin A (3,000 IU/900 mcg RAE from Beta Carotene and 2,000 IU/600 mcg RAE as Palmitate) 1,500 mcg.
- Vitamin C (as Ascorbic Acid) 150 mg.
- Vitamin D (as Vitamin D3) (1,000 IU) 25 mcg.
- Vitamin E (as d-Alpha Tocopheryl) (50 IU) 33.5 mg.
- Vitamin K (as Vitamin K1) 100 mcg.
- Thiamin (as Thiamin HCl) 5 mg
- Riboflavin (as Riboflavin 5'-Phosphate Sodium) 5 mg.
- Niacin (as Niacinamide) 30 mg.
- Vitamin B6 (as Pyridoxal 5'-Phosphate) 12 mg.
- Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate* from L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt 1 mg.
- Vitamin B12 (as Methylcobalamin) 200 mcg.
- Biotin 50 mcg.
- Pantothenic Acid (as Calcium Panothenate) 18 mg.
- Calcium (90 mg as Calcium Citrate and 90 mg as Calcium Malate) 180 mg.
- Iron (as Ferrochel® Ferrous Bisglycinate Chelate)** 45 mg.
- Iodine (as Potassium Iodide) 150 mcg.
- Magnesium (45 mg as Magnesium Citrate and 45 mg as Magnesium Malate) 90 mg.
- Zinc (as TRAACS® Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate)*** 25 mg
- Selenium (as L-Selenomethionine) 50 mcg.
- Copper (as TRAACS® Copper Bisglycinate Chelate)*** 2 mg.
- Manganese (as TRAACS® Manganese Bisglycinate Chelate)*** 5 mg.
- Chromium (as TRAACS® Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate)*** 100 mcg.
- Molybdenum (as TRAACS® Molybdenum Glycinate Chelate)*** 50 mcg.
- Boron (as Bororganic™ Boron Glycinate Complex)**** 1 mg.
Other Ingredients: Hypromellose (derived from cellulose) capsule, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Calcium Laurate, Silicon Dioxide.
*This product uses Gnosis S.p.A.’s L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolic Acid, Glucosamine Salt (Quatrefolic®).
Quatrefolic is a registered trademark of Gnosis S.p.A.
**This product uses Albion’s Ferrochel® Ferrous Bisglycinate chelate. Ferrochel is a registered trademark of Albion International, Inc.
***This product uses Albion’s TRAACS® Zinc Bisglycinate Chelate, Copper Bisglycinate Chelate, Manganese Bisglycinate Chelate, Chromium Nicotinate Glycinate Chelate, and Molybdenum Glycinate Chelate.
TRAACS is a registered trademark of Albion International, Inc
****This product uses Albion’s Bororganic™ Boron Glycinate Complex. Bororganic is a trademark of Albion International, Inc.
Take 3 capsules daily or as recommended by a health-care practitioner.
This product is contraindicated in an individual with a history of hypersensitivity to any of its ingredients.
Iodine may occasionally cause an allergic reaction in some individuals.
If pregnant, consult your health-care practitioner before using this product.
As vitamin K interferes with the effect of anticoagulant drugs (like Coumadin), the concurrent use of these agents should be avoided.
Folinic acid and 5-methyltetrahydrofolate supplementation is not recommended concurrent with methotrexate cancer therapy, as they can interfere with methotrexate's anti-neoplastic activity; however, these folate sources have not been shown to interfere with the anti-inflammatory activity of methotrexate.
An individual taking methotrexate for psoriasis or rheumatoid arthritis can safely take a supplement containing folate.
Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under six.
Keep this product out of reach of children.
In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.
Vitamin C can cause diarrhea in some individuals in large doses, which can vary from person to person and resolves when the amount is reduced.